“The Lord is near to the brokenhearted. He helps those whose spirit is crushed.” -Psalm 34
The mission of the Stephen Ministries organization is summed up in St. Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. “To equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until all of us come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ” (Ephesians 4:12–13).
Stephen Ministry is a lay caregiving ministry that supplements pastoral care. All Christians are ministers. Stephen Ministry is individual, one-to-one, confidential, Christ-centered care for those who are going through difficult times in life. Reasons for requesting a Stephen Minister’s visits may range from grieving the loss of a loved one, experiencing a significant illness, going through a divorce, job loss, struggling with substance abuse, or other life difficulties. No one is untouched. The confidential caregiver and care-receiver relationship, usually conducted by weekly visits, may continue for months or years.
At some point in life, everyone faces loss or periods of crisis, transition, or difficulty. During these times people can receive great benefit from a caring relationship with someone who has been trained to listen, as well as empathize, pray with and for them, and encourage them with Christ’s love and care.
Stephen Ministry is:
- Confidential: Our ministers are bound by this code so that those receiving care can be sure that their identity and concerns are secure.
- Free: Available to all who seek comfort and support through Christian caring.
- Not a substitute for professional therapy or counseling.
Stephen Ministry helps meet the needs of those who are:
- Hospitalized or homebound
- Aging and elderly
- Separated or divorced
- Grieving and experiencing loss
- In a job transition
- New and single parents
- Victims of accidents and natural disasters
- Family members of the above, and more
How Does It Work?
- Contact one of the Stephen Ministry Leaders: (610) 647-2530, ext. 1370.
- One of the Leaders will give you a full explanation of the Stephen Ministry program.
- If appropriate, a Stephen Minister will be assigned to meet with the care-receiver on a regular basis.
A Stephen Minister will continue to provide distinctively Christian care for the person in strict confidence.
Stephen Ministries is an independent, not-for-profit Christian educational organization. Its main activity is the training of Stephen Leaders who then train others in their parish to be Stephen Ministers. Capable of accompanying those who are facing some crisis in life, for instance, illness, death of a loved one, divorce, relocation, or financial setback.